The word Magento is familiar to everyone who deals with eCommerce. However, even those store owners who actually use this solution as a platform for their online stores, not always know that much about it.
What is Magento?
Magento Commerce is the leading provider of open omnichannel innovation.
Magento is an ecommerce platform built on open source technology which provides online merchants with a flexible shopping cart system, as well as control over the look, content and functionality of their online store. Magento offers powerful marketing, search engine optimization, and catalog-management tools. We believe that Magento is one of the best ecommerce platforms available today, with editions ranging from community open source, to massive, large-scale enterprise SaaS based systems.
Magento’s ability to scale allows shops with only a few products and simple needs to easily expand to tens of thousands of products and complex custom behavior without changing platforms. It offers a variety of plug-ins and themes which can easily enhance a customer’s experience. There are a lot of aspects to the online store which need to be configured, and how well that is accomplished is often dependent on business acumen. When it comes to custom functionality, however, that is where more complex programming is required.
Magento is designed to be utilized as an application by someone who isn’t a developer. The Magento community is extremely large and very helpful. However, at some point the average person is going to hit a wall.
There are a number of reasons why developers are called upon to adjust a Magento website. It is a very robust system even at its most basic, more so even than a Drupal site (and Drupal is no lightweight). Once you begin to integrate with other systems, or introduce tens of thousands of products, businesses often need the assistance of experienced developers. The functionality can be changed only up to a point; beyond that, it needs to be customized by an expert who really understands Magento, and follows best practices.
Experienced Magento developers will also tell you that speed is of the essence in ecommerce. No one wants to have to wait for systems to reload when you’re doing a lot of online shopping. With such a robust list of features native to the application, strains can be put on your Magento server .
- Magento is very powerful and yet intuitive when it comes to presenting your products. You can easily create your products catalog and manage it. You can add more than one images for the same product, review the product and allow creating of wish lists. It allows catalog and product browsing, product filtering and product comparison. You can easily add new products, do batch product update, manage your inventory, easily manage orders and shipments, and integrate different payment methods.
- Magento has some great options when it comes to customer service. With Magento you grant your customers the option to create user accounts, track their shopping history, contact you through custom forms, you can also choose different languages and currencies, to fit the needs of your customers.
- You can easily integrate Magento into your Google Analytics account and use all its options to analyze the customer behavior on your website and optimize it for better results. You can also use the advanced SEO options of Magento to optimize your website search engine positioning, so it can be found easier by your customers.
- Magento also allows you to use many marketing promo tools – organize price promotions, use coupon codes. There are many websites out there offering beautiful Magento themes for free or paid, so you can create your unique looking online store with ease.
- And if this is not enough, there are over 1.700 extensions for additional functionalities you can install via the Magento-Connect interface.
Magento has Magento Enterprise Edition and Magento Community Edition two main editions.
Magento Enterprise Edition
Magento Enterprise Edition is the high performance, scalable eCommerce solution for fast-growing and large businesses.
It has the enterprise-class features and the flexibility you need to create an eCommerce solution tailored to your unique needs. And it helps you drive more traffic to your store, convert browsers into buyers, and boost online revenue.
Magento Enterprise Edition Highlights
• Flexibility to create rich consumer experiences
• Tailor back-end workflows to your business
• Hundreds of extensions
• Open architecture
• Integrate with other eCommerce solutions
• Network of partners and certified developers
• Expert support, training, and consulting services
Magento Community Edition
Magento Community Edition is the perfect solution if you’re a developer or tech-savvy merchant that wants to explore the flexibility of the Magento eCommerce platform. You can modify—and even contribute to—the core code and engage with our passionate community for support and guidance.
Magento Community Edition Highlights
• Open source eCommerce software
• Free to download
• Community-based support
St. John Knits Customer Story
When luxury fashion house St. John Knits chose Magento, it attracted new and lapsed customers to their online experience.
Venroy: Menswear Brand Launches Magento 2.0 Site In 8 Weeks
Venroy is a boutique brand specializing in male beach resort wear inspired by the Australian beach lifestyle. They have built a successful wholesale business in the US and Europe, but their long-term strategy is to build an online presence that drives consumer direct purchases worldwide. Their new site, built on Magento 2.0, is consumer focused with the goal of getting website visitors to buy direct online or through their new physical store. Magento 2.0 gave them complete control over the shopping experience and lets them tell their story and communicate directly with customers.
Fraport Customer Story
MAGENTO POWERS FIRST OMNICHANNEL AIRPORT SHOPPING PLATFORM FOR FRAPORT
Frankfurt Airport is already one of Europe’s largest travel hubs, having served 61 million passengers in 2015. With over 300 retail outlets, Frankfurt Airport is also the biggest shopping mall in Germany. Now, it also represents the most technologically advanced commerce experience for travelers in the air and on the ground. With the ability to buy in the air and pick-up on the ground, Frankfurt Airport is bringing fun, excitement and convenience to their travelling customers. And the myriad of food, beverage, luxury and apparel brands that occupy the airport get a new way to attract and delight travellers through a unique digital marketplace.